Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Oracle RDB Loader question
Oracle RDB Loader question [message #184718] Thu, 27 July 2006 09:44 Go to next message
Ivancleber da Silva Neves
I'm currently using an oracle rdb database on a openvms system. My question is: can I use loader to update records or does loader is just used to insert records ?

I have to perfom a load in wich some records should be inserted and some just updated. Any Suggestion ?

thanks in advance
Re: Oracle RDB Loader question [message #184738 is a reply to message #184718] Thu, 27 July 2006 11:43 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
SQL*Loader only inserts data into from a file into Oracle table (can, though, REPLACE or APPEND records into it) - update isn't possible.

But, if you run Oracle 9i or higher on your OpenVMS, you might use external tables feature which would then enable you to use operating system file as if it was ordinary Oracle table; doing so, you'd be able to distinguish records and, through PL/SQL code, insert record or update existing ones.

If your Oracle version is lower than 9i, you could load the whole file into a temporary table and then perform the same PL/SQL action as mentioned earlier.
Previous Topic: In D2k report,How to disable "No of copies" option in Print dialog box?
Next Topic: Two directories in one?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:56:15 CDT 2024