Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » How long for migration process?
How long for migration process? [message #113761] Thu, 01 November 2001 10:02 Go to next message
brad simmons
I am planning a migration/upgrade from 7.3.3 to 8.1.7. I'm looking for information regarding HOW LONG the mig utility runs and how long the 'convert database' statement runs. Additional information regarding # of objects and # of datafiles in the target db would be VERY appreciated. (btw - this is for a 1.7 TB database with 19,000+ objects, 8500+ tables, 1000+ datafiles)
Re: How long for migration process? [message #113763 is a reply to message #113761] Mon, 05 November 2001 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paul mansfield
: I am planning a migration/upgrade from 7.3.3 to 8.1.7. I'm looking for information regarding HOW LONG the mig utility runs and how long the 'convert database' statement runs. Additional information regarding # of objects and # of datafiles in the target db would be VERY appreciated. (btw - this is for a 1.7 TB database with 19,000+ objects, 8500+ tables, 1000+ datafiles)
Our database is only 150 gig but the convert took 10 mins and the upgrade took 30mins. The amount of disk cache(hardware) we had did make a difference as a prior run before we upgraded the disk cache tok 2 hours. The size of your database may not matter too much as its the dictionary etc which is hit. The data itself is only hit later on next update. Make sure you are generous in sizing the new SYSTEM datafile you add.
Also, ask Oracle how long their cutover customers usually have serious problems for after cutover.
Re: How long for migration process? [message #113769 is a reply to message #113763] Wed, 14 November 2001 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brad simmons

Thanks for the response, Paul. I agree with the idea that it's more dictionary issues than total db size that drives the time. How many objects/tables/datafiles are in your database? I'm thinking a secs/table or secs/datafile metric might help ballpark estimates for total time required...
-- Now if I could just get a few more REPLIES from the peanut gallery!!!
Re: How long for migration process? [message #113770 is a reply to message #113769] Thu, 15 November 2001 10:38 Go to previous message
John Jones
: ...

: Thanks for the response, Paul. I agree with the idea that it's more dictionary issues than total db size that drives the time. How many objects/tables/datafiles are in your database? I'm thinking a secs/table or secs/datafile metric might help ballpark estimates for total time required...
: -- Now if I could just get a few more REPLIES from the peanut gallery!!!

We migrated several small databases earlier this year to 8.1.7 MPM. For the largest (30GB), the migration took about 10 minutes and the dictionary scripts about 30 minutes. Other activities such as the migration check, MIGSTART, setting tablespaces in READONLY before the migration and to READWRITE after all verification were not as time-consuming although in one case the ALTER back to READWRITE took about 30 minutes. We ran in RESTRICT mode with SQLNET and CICS adapters inactive. We also ran a script after the migration to ANALYZE ESTIMATE all objects that previously had stats.
Previous Topic: Coverting to WE8EBCDIC1047 from WE8EBCDIC37C nls language
Next Topic: Re: Oracle on Linux S390
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:02:02 CDT 2024