Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Database options to address work load increase
Database options to address work load increase [message #655992] Mon, 19 September 2016 10:22 Go to next message
caprikar
Hi,
I have 2 node RAC database running on 11.2.0.4 (RedHat Linux) with the memory utilization of about 80% (we have 140GB of memory) and we are expecting the application work load to increase by 10 times. The size of the database is 5TB. What are all the options that I should be looking into to address the increase in database workload to maintain or improve the performance?
Thanks
Re: Database options to address work load increase [message #656002 is a reply to message #655992] Mon, 19 September 2016 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If no limits within the database, the instance, or the server are being reached, you do not need to do anything.
If you post an AWR or statspack report, this may become clearer.
Re: Database options to address work load increase [message #656005 is a reply to message #655992] Mon, 19 September 2016 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
caprikar wrote on Mon, 19 September 2016 08:22
Hi,
I have 2 node RAC database running on 11.2.0.4 (RedHat Linux) with the memory utilization of about 80% (we have 140GB of memory)
post command & results that support the statement WRT 80% memory utilization.

Which metric at what value do you use to determine when RAM is a system bottleneck?

In addition to RAM you need to monitor CPU & disk sub-system utilization as potential bottlenecks.
Re: Database options to address work load increase [message #656076 is a reply to message #655992] Wed, 21 September 2016 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
caprikar wrote on Mon, 19 September 2016 15:22
Hi,
I have 2 node RAC database running on 11.2.0.4 (RedHat Linux) with the memory utilization of about 80% (we have 140GB of memory) and we are expecting the application work load to increase by 10 times.
I have got a question same to Black Swan. How do you knew the memory utilization of RAC wasted 80%? What was the metric, utility or anything did you use to measure?
And, there are many reasons made bottleneck but not only memory.

140gb physical memory per server? Is it physical or virtual?

Quote:

The size of the database is 5TB. What are all the options that I should be looking into to address the increase in database workload to maintain or improve the performance?
Thanks
As John Waston suggestion, you might upload AWR (get the snaps between busy time) here, it will take a cleaner rather than guess.

TaT.
Re: Database options to address work load increase [message #656122 is a reply to message #655992] Fri, 23 September 2016 08:41 Go to previous message
bpeasland

Quote:
we are expecting the application work load to increase by 10 times.
What exactly does that mean? Do you mean you will have ten times more users? Ten times more data coming in but the user base will stay the same? If you can quantify the statement above in more precise terms, then yo are starting in the right direction.

Cheers,
Brian
Previous Topic: Application is running slow time to time
Next Topic: Do we need to sit down with custom about determining which statspack snapshot to be used as baseline
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:53:01 CDT 2024