Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Capacity Planning for 250 user OLTP shop (Oracle 11g on Linux)
Capacity Planning for 250 user OLTP shop [message #580014] Tue, 19 March 2013 05:39 Go to next message
Andrey_R
Hi all,
I need advise on couple of issues regarding installing Oracle for a new Data-Center(still in planning).

It will be an OLTP shop working 24/7, with 250 concurrent users.

1. Can it, in theory run with good performance on a quad processor(something like Intel Xeon Series 56XX) , with 32GB of memory?
2. What is the Oracle Database Edition required for this configuration?
3. What additional things should one take into account to plan the most cost-effective configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrey
Re: Capacity Planning for 250 user OLTP shop [message #580683 is a reply to message #580014] Tue, 26 March 2013 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alan.kendall@nfl.com
The most important thing is to design the application so that the most accessed result set and queries run against a single table. By avoiding joins for the commonly accessed data, rows can be gotten from an index range scan and not a join. This reduces cpu, memory and I/O. Simplicity also reduces your shared pool size. We modified a video lookup and a photo lookup to run against one table each and performance issues went away for 3 years before we had to tune again.
Re: Capacity Planning for 250 user OLTP shop [message #581209 is a reply to message #580683] Wed, 03 April 2013 07:12 Go to previous message
Andrey_R
Hi Allan,
Thank you for your reply.
I see more and more with any experience I get that simplicity and correct coding are priceless principals when you are developing a new application.

The trouble is that my application is already written 10 years ago, has severe coding limitations.
For our new customers - we are left with suggesting the best Hardware configuration for the lowest cost and given the possibilities - best performance.

Previous Topic: select column list vs select *
Next Topic: _library_cache_advice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:39:59 CDT 2024