Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Automating Oracle messages on OS/390.
Automating Oracle messages on OS/390. [message #363443] Tue, 18 July 2000 06:23 Go to next message
Stuart Evans
Hi there.

In the past couple of years, I have been tasked with automating various messages issued by ORACLE SQL and other tasks installed on our platforms. We have a problem, however, where the installation on our systems produces a four character ORACLE instance name followed by a space BEFORE the actual ORACLE message. Here is an example:

SQG8 TXM11801I TCP/IP socket #0000(3) open...

This is how the message appears on our system and job logs. As you can see, the message is in this case prefixed by the name 'SQG8'. This causes us immense automation problems, since our usual IBM-friendly message standards require us to have a blank delimited unique message identifier of not more than ten alphanumeric characters as the first word of a message. As you will all know, this is normally the case with most IBM and other application messages issued via OS/390.

I have discussed the problem with the team who install and maintain the Oracle software set, but have been informed that this cannot be altered. I find it hard to believe that there is no installation setting that can overcome this, however. Has anyone heard of it before, and can you suggest a possible solution less complex than writing home-grown MPF user exits or high-maintenance/high-CPU rexx procedures to deal with this?

Hopefully someone will tell me it's simply a matter of altering something during the installation of these tasks. Interested in hearing any thoughts, however.

Regards to all,

Stuart Evans

OS/390 System Programmer and Automation Analyst.
Re: Automating Oracle messages on OS/390. [message #363444 is a reply to message #363443] Thu, 20 July 2000 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pat Mason
I'm not sure which product you are using but am throwing out some ideas.

Can you look for SQG8 messages, then based upon the 2nd word take various actions?

Of course, that would mean you would have to duplicate the rules for each SID.
Re: Automating Oracle messages on OS/390. [message #363445 is a reply to message #363443] Fri, 21 July 2000 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart Evans
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your thoughts.

The suggestion you make is, unfortunately, exactly our problem - the fact that we have to use the second word of a message rather than the first word - and therefore duplicate our rules or have other logic to cope with the messages. As you no-doubt know, MPF only really likes the first word in a message, so we therefore have to write MPF user exits in Assembler which filter messages out of every Oracle subsystem we have (and we have quite a few and they're getting changed around a lot at the moment) - or pass the burden of the work over to our Automation products to do the same thing.

Either way, it's high maintenance and increases our CPU utilisation (because you have to read every Oracle message instead of just the ones you're interested in).

This is not ideal and just doesn't fit in well with our other functionality, which is set up to basically assume that the first word of a message is a unique one. I'd like to find a way to switch this first word off in the Oracle messages - and was hoping there's an installation setting I haven't found yet. Any ideas?

Regards,

Stuart.
Re: Automating Oracle messages on OS/390. [message #363446 is a reply to message #363443] Fri, 21 July 2000 08:03 Go to previous message
Pat Mason
I'm not familiar with MPF. We do have our rules handled by our Automation software (Control-O).

In the multiple installs of Oracle MVS, I haven't found where a setting will help your situation. If your Oracle folks have access to Oracle's Metalink, they might want to post your question there within the OS390 forumn.
You might have to end up submitting a change/enhancement request for it to be incorporated in future releases (if they decide to do it) if Oracle doesn't have a fix for your situation.
Previous Topic: DELPHI Real-time Performance Monitor for Oracle/MVS
Next Topic: WAITW in MVS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:31:07 CDT 2024