Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Gather statistics for scale up / down decision process
Gather statistics for scale up / down decision process [message #355908] Tue, 28 October 2008 08:09 Go to next message
tsteinmaurer
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to gather statistics and interpret the result accordingly for a scale up or scale down decision process regarding CPU / cores.

So, basically:

* How can I gather statistics over a period of time as input for a decision process?
* How can I interpret them in an easy way, or are there any best practices on when scaling up / down CPU/Core wise makes sense (e.g. a particular statistic value is beyond a certain limit ...)

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Gather statistics for scale up / down decision process [message #357238 is a reply to message #355908] Tue, 04 November 2008 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
If I interpret your management speak correctly, you're trying to find out if you need a faster processor, or if you can save money on your licenses by downgrading to s slower processor.

Run Statspack for a 5-15 minute interval several times a day, and have a look at the wait events. If you are cpu-bound, you'll see 'CPU Time' cropping up as a significant part of your wait events.
Re: Gather statistics for scale up / down decision process [message #357259 is a reply to message #355908] Tue, 04 November 2008 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tsteinmaurer
Hi!

Yes, you are right in interpreting my inquiry. Basically I want to find out if either I have to put in more CPU power or possibly can save licensing cost due to low CPU utilization. Will try Statspack.

Ever tried Nagios (http://www.nagios.org/) for such a purpose?

Thanks again!

Thomas
Re: Gather statistics for scale up / down decision process [message #357261 is a reply to message #357259] Tue, 04 November 2008 08:41 Go to previous message
JRowbottom
Nagaios isn't going to be able to tell you what the database is waiting on. It'll tell you if CPU uage or IO is high, but it won't tell you ho long in total the Db spent waiting for access to those resources
Previous Topic: gather stats how?
Next Topic: Query Tuning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 09:47:23 CDT 2024